giovedì 21 ottobre 2010

EDWIN USHIRO



Much After the Clouds Retreated into the Millyard. 2007.



Edwin, you've been transplanted from Maui to California.
Have you ever missed your origin land?


Yeah, I do miss my home. It's probably the reason why Hawaii continues to be the location of my paintings.




Familiar Kiss of the Underground Sandstorm. 2007.



You attended the Art Center College of Design and attained a BFA in Illustration with Honors. TRUE or FALSE.

True. Are you testing me?

Since that moment you've been working as Production Designer, Visual Consultant, Art Director, Storyboard Artist, and Concept Designer. Which is your favorite role?

I enjoy any creative role. To me, these are just titles. In the end you are delivering creativity for a specific area. I am just amazed that I get to draw for a living.



From this Point on when She would Look at the Tea Leaves, her Memory would Lead her Back to This very
Moment. 2008.


Birth of Unreckoning. 2008.



What's your biggest client?

Sony. Mostly for the fact that we have a close relationship and that I have worked in numerous parts of the company.

What's your best client and why?

If you are asking what my favorite project was, then, I'd say it was doing graffiti in a Los Angeles Chinatown bathroom when I worked at NBC. I had the opportunity to deface public property in broad daylight while the Police was in full sight of me doing it. It was for a television series entitled, Boomtown. Haha, try to stop me cops!


Preview of Edwin Solo Show at Project Gallery. 2008.


Where are you currently exhibiting?

I am currently exhibiting at the Portsmouth Museum of Art with Hokusai, Takashi Murakami, Yoshitomo Nara, KAWS, my friends, Gary Baseman, Yoskay Yamamoto, and Andrew Hem. The exhibition is called, "SugiPOP!: The Influence of Anime and Manga on Contemporary Art." The show was curated by Beau Basse, owner of LeBasse Projects in Culver City, California.





Late for Reconciliation. 2010.



What's your favorite work among those that have been featured at Roq La Rue Gallery in Seattle?

My favorite is called "A Commemorative Reset Button". It is a portrait of my cat, Rusty.



A Commemorative Reset Button. 2010.






Something you do when you're procrastinating.


Play basketball, draw something else, sing, catch up on emails and go to the beach.
Right now, I am watching the rain fall.


Edwin Ushiro Solo Show Teaserfrom Jeremy Asher Lynch on Vimeo.



Your biggest goal in life.

To make a movie. I am working on my IMovie skills just as we speak. Ha!

What's after death?

You know, I draw ghosts all day long. I read extensively on them too. If I catch a show about ghosts on television, I'll stay tuned. My friends share unexplained phenomenon stories with me and I am thrilled to hear them.
I have even experienced things I cannot explain. Yet, I am still not convinced there is anything else beyond death.
Maybe I linger on this topic to try and convince myself about the romantic notion of life after death because I want to believe it's true.



Rolling Atop Hills Knowing Full Well that Nothing Exists Beneath You. 2010.



A movie or a book that changed your life.

A movie: The Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse.
A book: Tuesdays with Morrie.


Best museum you've ever been to.

As far as best collections go, hands down I have to say The Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena, California.



To Counter Imponderability.



What project are you going through right now?

I have a few awesome concept design jobs but I am mostly excited about making new paintings.


More about the artist:

http://www.mrushiro.com/

Nessun commento: